RE: [IP] Nedd some basic ideas for pizza bolus with D pump

I'll share what we have found works for Amy when she eats pizza (her favorite
food, after mashed potatoes and gravy). She will eat her pizza, count up the
total carbs, usually drinking diet Pepsi along with her pizza. If her bgs are
in the 'normal' range, she will dual wave for 2 hours, doing a bolus for 30
carbs now, with the remaining over a 2 hour period. This is what works very
well for her - keeps her bgs nice and even (one thing we can count on!! lol)

I find it so funny, that for most people with d, pizza is one of the hardest
meals to eat and keep bloodsugars even, yet our JDA group each and every year
holds their Christmas party at Happy Joe's Pizza! They have a huge "Jungle
Bungle" in the lower level - you know the kind - tubes, slides, bridges, etc.
for the kids to run, slide, hide, and sweat to death in!! So, it is so typical
- we eat our pizza and pop, "Santa" visits, then the kids go downstairs to
play - and they play hard. In about 25 - 30 mins., out they come pouring, low
blood sugars galore!! Once one comes out, the rest are soon to follow. You can
almost set your watch by it! BUT, this year, guess who didn't go low?? Thanks
to her pump and the dual wave, Amy was 119 after 1/2 hour of play (requested
test by a curious parent). Of course, we cheated a little, giving no bolus,
just a square wave for the entire meal. So, here was everyone else, eating
glucose tabs and having ice cream for their lows. Did Amy have ice cream? You
bet!! But, only because she wanted it, not needed it!!!!

Time like those make us LOVE THIS PUMP!!!

Sue Tappendorf
Mom of Amy, 12, pumping since June '98