In a message dated 3/19/99 4:18:10 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<Is it really difficult to start with
insulin?  >>

I posted last fall about my first night on the pump.  I had had a big argument
with the CDE about going on saline, she insisting that it was part of the
protocol, and I had gone away quite unhappy at pumping saline for our
compromise 2 days.   But that night when I was continually awakened with A35
alarms (Minimed 507C), I appreciated not having to worry about the insulin
too.  After at least 2 hours on the phone with Minimed service while getting a
real runthrough of all possible problems and solutions, I was sent a new pump,
which arrived just in time to hook up with insulin.  I was able to leave the
pump connected to get used to it while setting a basal rate of 0.0 while I
slept.  I understand this kind of problem is rare, but it didn't show up until
the pump had actually been pumping for a number of hours.