Re: [IP] Re: pizza and other high fat foods

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 email @ redacted wrote:

> In a message dated 3/18/99 6:43:59 PM Central Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> << but I don't think I would
>  be so far off as to cause such a bad high.  I think it was the fat. Any
>  tips would be appreciated... >>
There is another problem with smaller children (and small adults too).
The digestive system appears to have a maximum digestive throughput. When
you fill it up with more carbs than it can handle comfortably it digestes
in a linear fashion. i.e. so much per hour, kinda like a big full bucket
with a small hole to drain it. If you put a bunch of food in, and it will
only handle X per hour, then if you have 5 X is's going to take 5 hours
to digest. The insulin must be matched to this throughput. It is tough to
figure this out, but can be estimated more easily if you approach from a
"maximum bolus" standpoint. That is, the bolus size after which you are
guaranteed to force a low. Once you know that bolus size you can
calculate the food it represents, and anything else must be spread out
over the remaining hours to process the rest of the food.