RE: [IP] Nedd some basic ideas for pizza bolus with D pump

> I have a new pumper on H insulin with a Didetronic pump. Last night, he
> decided to eat 5 slices of pizza (I don't know the size of it)
> and drank 16
> oz. of milk with it. Basal rate is at 1.3. Bolus rate at 1:8. BG
> was at 196 at
> start of meal. He corrected for the high BG (target at 120/20).
> He gave 19
> units of H. Exactly 1 1/2 hours later, BG was 55. Not unsual fo a slow
> absorbing pizza. I had warned him about this. Since he is a
> teenager (19), and
> could use a few more pounds, I am not trying to limit his intake. He would
> probably have been OK, if he had not corrected the high BG.
> Anyway, how would
> most of the D users here have handled the meal.

I'm a new pump user (MM507C) and tried to deal with this same situation
recently. I was slightly high pre-meal and would eat 4 pieces with a diet
soda. I estimated each piece at 40G CHO and figured 13u H for the meal +3u H
for the high for 16 total. I did dual-wave bolus and split the dose in half
with 8 normal bolus and 8 over 1 HR square wave.

I wound up with a 60 BG at about 3 hours past the onset of the meal but did
not feel any symptoms which is unusual for me. I normally have strong
symptoms at anything sub-80. I probably should have questioned the 60 and
rechecked but as I was already using about 8 strips a day and on the verge
of running out I felt conservation was in order.

I think I was off a little in my calculations somewhere but my confusion is
largely due to not understanding the pizza digestion. That is, should I have
extended the square wave bolus over a longer period of hours? Does anybody
know the correct CHO/slice of a given pizza brand? I have a CHO reference
book but it doesn't cover the brands that I eat most. What's a good
reference? Also, when meals like this are in the mid to late evening, is it
safe for the bolus activity to carry into night time or should you try to
apply the bolus in such a way that all of the bolus duration is complete by