[IP] Nedd some basic ideas for pizza bolus with D pump

I have a new pumper on H insulin with a Didetronic pump. Last night, he
decided to eat 5 slices of pizza (I don't know the size of it) and drank 16
oz. of milk with it. Basal rate is at 1.3. Bolus rate at 1:8. BG was at 196 at
start of meal. He corrected for the high BG (target at 120/20).  He gave 19
units of H. Exactly 1 1/2 hours later, BG was 55. Not unsual fo a slow
absorbing pizza. I had warned him about this. Since he is a teenager (19), and
could use a few more pounds, I am not trying to limit his intake. He would
probably have been OK, if he had not corrected the high BG. Anyway, how would
most of the D users here have handled the meal. He did treat the low with a
tube of glucose gel since he had some numbness around his lips, and raised the
BG to 78. He was not happy with that number, so ate raisins, cookiesand juice,
Needless to say, he was up to 300 by 4 hours after the pizza.
     I went to the HOW TO section of the main web site, but info was not
really helpful. I suppose he could have split the bolus up to deliver a
portion over 2 to 3 hours. Do you all think I am on track here, or am I all
Thanks, sorry this is so long. Anyone choosing to answer,send to my email
Barbara B.