Re: [IP] Can someone please explain this basal regimen to me...

email @ redacted wrote:
> Bob - I'm sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. But, I'm glad you
> brought up the "regimen" they have you on, as I have a work friend that also
> just started on the pump, and her team has her on 5 basals (yes, 11 does sound
> awfully excessive, even for an experienced pumper), and fixed boluses for her
> meals, no matter what her blood sugars are! She has had so many lows this 1st
> week and a half of pumping, and she knows that my daughter is doing things so
> completely opposite of her. Maybe Barb or another CDE here can give some
> answers about why the difference? Barb? Anyone??

The answer is very simple: they have NO idea what pumping is, needs to be, or
is intended to be. After years of treating people by prescribing strict
regimens which twist our lives to fit the pattern of shots, meals, exercise
and so on they just don't grasp the idea that the pump is there to give use
FREEDOM from the old rules, not just be an expensive way to do the same
job just as poorly.

Everybody who directs a new pumper should read "Pumping Insulin" or such and
they understand it it and know how to TRAIN people to think about their pumps
as the best tool for diabetic regulation BY the diabetic.

Ted Quick