Re: [IP] Can someone please explain this basal regimen to me...

I'd recommend purchasing "Pumping Insulin" in order to get a little
guidance on setting your basals.  It has a whole section which instructs
you on finding the right settings for you.  From what I've read, if your
bg's go up or down more than 30 points when you are not eating, then
your basals need to be adjusted so that these fluctuations do not occur.
I started on the pump a few months ago, and at first my doctor had me on
a higher dosage of Humalog than it turns out I needed.  I have been
noting how far my bg's drop between mealtimes and have adjusted my
basals either up or down .1 unit until I arrive at a dosage that
maintains a fairly stable bg.  Still haven't got it perfect, but I'm
working on it!

Good luck,