Re: : [IP] Trouble with diabetes/venting--AN ANGRY Response TO NON DIABETIC People

SOME OF THE THINGS PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT BEING A DIABETIC, THERE ARE
WORSE THINGS, I HAVE ALWAYS HAD MY FAMILY BEHIND ME, BUT THEY DON'T
TREAT ME DIFFERENTLY, THEY DON'T MAKE SPECIAL FOODS FOR ME, I DRINK
Alcohol, I GO TO CLUBS, AND I PLAY SPORTS AND YES I USE TO POKE MYSELF
5-6 TIMES A DAY FOR 23 YEARS WITH A NEEDLE.  WHO DO THESE People THINK
THEY ARE TO TRY TO MAKE YOU FEEL GUILTY FOR BEING A DIABETIC, People
LIKE THAT SHOULD BE........ I WILL JUST LET THAT GO, BECAUSE I KNOW THAT
WHEN THAT DOES HAPPEN TO ME I WILL TELL THAT PERSON/S WHERE TO GO.  EVEN
IF IT IS MY PARENTS, THEY ARE TO LOVE YOU UNCONDITIONALLY, AND FOR THEM
TO THINK THAT THEY CAN'T BE AROUND YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE A LITTLE HIGH OR
LOW SUGARS IS BS. I'M SORRY BUT NO ONE SHOULD BE OUTCASTED FOR HAVING
THIS DISEASE AND THE NEXT TIME THEY SAY SOMETHING ASK THEM IF THEY WOULD
RATHER YOU DIE OF SOME OTHER THING.  WE ARE ALIVE THANKS TO THE RESEARCH
THAT THEY ARE DOING OUT THERE AND THEY HAVE COME ALONG WAY.  I USE TO
HAVE TO EAT CERTAIN FOODS AND BELIEVE ME I PAID THE PRICE.  I SPENT MANY
NIGHTS IN THE HOSPITAL EXPERIMENTING WITH FOOD AND INSULIN.  AND NOW
LOOK AT A LOT OF US ARE ABLE TO USE.  THE PUMP WE CAN EAT ANYTHING,
INCLUDING DOUBLE Chocolate COVERED CAKE AND LOTS OF CANDY.  THATS ALL
THE STEAM I HAVE RIGHT NOW SORRY MAYBE I WAS A LITTLE TO RUDE THERE BUT
PEOPLE Shouldn't'T ASSUME THAT WE NEED SPECIAL TREATMENT, WE DON'T.
THERESSA

>From: email @ redacted
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: : [IP] Trouble with diabetes/venting
>Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:53:53 EST
>From email @ redacted Sun Mar 14 20:55:51 1999
>Sender: email @ redacted
>
>In a message dated 3/14/99 11:03:43 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
>
><<  It is just something i kinda resent my mom for. >>
>
>Well, while we're venting about DM and those who love us ...
>
>I was in my 30s when I was DX'd, and my mom is very uncomfortable with
the
>fact that I have DM. She just kind of looks at me very pityingly. Boy,
do I
>hate that. I had a hypo in front of her once. Three years ago. She
hasn't been
>back to visit since. She told me it scared her. (Scares *her*???!!!) At
my
>grandmother's burial (at a family plot in another state), we left the
cemetery
>and my husband and our grandchildren went back to the hotel. I found
out later
>that everybody else had gone out to eat. We weren't asked. (I have DM,
you
>know, and have to eat special foods only for diabetics and only at
certain
>times. <said with some amount of irony for those of you who take
everything
>seriously)  The next day, before we left to drive back home, I asked
Mom and
>Dad if they'd like to join us for lunch and Mom said they had other
plans.

>So I guess she doesn't want to eat with me and she'd afraid to be
around me
>because I have DM? She doesn't want to see me stick myself? (I never
have in
>front of her.) You think that's why I haven't seen her for three years?
And