Re: [IP] visual impairment and pumping

Diana Maynard wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone out there is visually impaired and can offer me some advice on pumping.
> At the moment I am partially sighted and considering going on a pump
> (Minimed 506) - for that read "I really want to do this more than
> anything else if I possibly can, dependent on finances, doctors'
> approval etc. etc".

Diana, is the onnly choice for you a 506? They're rather outdated,
but more importantly my new 507c has an "Audio bolus" feature that
lets you push the buttons and count tones that sound off for each
0.5 or 1.0 unit bolused (users choice in set-up), which could free
you from having to read the numbers off the screen for boluses
before meals. The 506 definitely didn't have that feature.
> I can't read small print but I think I should be OK reading the
> numbers etc. on the pump (I can use a magnifier if necessary),
> although this might be a problem in the future. I'm a
> bit concerned about not being able to see air bubbles in the tube
> though, or spot problems with the site such as infection.

Infections usually hurt and/or feel different, which could help you
know when there was a problem. Air bubbles are definitely a bit harder
for you to deal with, wish I had an idea for that too, but nothing
comes to mind now. Maybe later!

Chances are
> my sight will get worse but hopefully using the pump and getting my BG
> into better control might prevent that.

I sure hope it will help you, Diana. You've been through so much already.

Ted Quick