[IP] Life insurance

Here is a story that I found slightly amusing. I am certain everyone on this pump site has faced a similar situation:
    I recently applied for life insurance coverage through my employer. I work for county government, and we are allowed up to a certain amount in coverage, but can apply for "advanced" coverage up to $100,000. My wife took out a huge policy on herself, so I felt kind of obligated to reciprocate the gesture.
    Six weeks after sending in my application, I received an "Evidence of Insurability" form. I was asked to check boxes to describe any medical conditions. Yep, right after allergies, asthma and bee stings, there was good ol' diabetes. I checked only that box from the 50-or so listed health conditions. The form asked for the date I was last treated for the condition(s) listed. I thought for a moment, then marked "daily." I signed to release medical information to the insurers, then mailed in the application.
    Two months went by. I finally received a personal one-page letter from the insurance company's claims manager, denying my application. I wasn't surprised. No big deal. But the letter stated that I was denied due to my "ongoing treatment for diabetes." What, is it going to stop? Ongoing treatment for diabetes would indicate to me that a person is working hard to manage it.
    The form stated outright that they did NOT check my medical records, but I could reapply for coverage by sending medical records or any other related materials. In other words, I was really going to have to work for it.
    Odd, isn't it, that the company did not state that they deny persons with diabetes as a matter of policy. I might understand that. Instead, they spent two months to assess the application, didn't follow-up by checking medical records like they said they would, then denied the application because I receive "ongoing treatment."
    I can only laugh---it took them two months to draft a letter.