Re: [IP] insurance (tara)

In a message dated 3/14/99 2:36:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Do you know if they only have a medical
 insurance company handling the claims, but actually pay it out of the funds
 from employees/employer? That's the definition of self-insured.
Hi Ted,

	The union handles claims for DME and Major Medical out of their own Benefits
Plan.  It is a plan that the companies and employees pay into.  There isn't
any other insurance company involved unless it's a straight doctor visit.  If
it is a doctor visit, lab work or test, they go through an insurance company
who handles the claims.  It's a PPO and you have to use their doctors, labs,
etc.  Because the whole plan is only a Benefits plan that is "agreed" to by
the membership and the employers during contract negotiations every 3 years.
Believe me we've fought them before for better medical but they won't give in,
even after a 5 month strike 2 1/2 years ago.   I'm just keeping my fingers
crossed that this last appeal pays off.