Re: [IP] A1C question

email @ redacted wrote:
 An endo talked at our last
> support group meeting and said that if your a1c was 6 or 10 and your bgs go up
> and down, then the a1c result is irrelevant.

It MAY be, depends on duration of highs and such.

 I was surprised by this
> statement because I thought the DCCT showed that a low a1c prevented
> complications.

I believe that A1cs were used as reference points since it's so much siimpler to
give a single, universal appearing figure than to have to show a pattern for
each patient. With 1440 patients it gets a bit staggering!

According to this endo, it is NOT the low a1c, but the
> consistency of relatively normal bgs.

Very true.

If this is indeed the case, then why
> are most endos (mine for one) only interested in that a1c result and not very
> interested in those day to day bgs.

It's an easy trap to fall into. A GOOD endo wil check the A1c AFTER looking
at your home test records. then verifying that the A1c makes sense. Short
duration highs are supposed to cause less problems.

The endos and we should be concentrating
> on the bgs and NOT the a1c.  Again, if this is true, then the a1c is not very
> important in the BIG picture.  I want to prevent those complications and my
> a1c is good at 6.0, but I do have alot of fluctuation from exercise.  Am I
> just as likely to have the complications as someone with an a1c of 10.0?

Wish it was really that clear-cut. You are probably less likely to
complicate if the highs are of short duration, but how can you analyze just
what happened to who over a 40+ year span, for instance. There ARE
other factors, such as general health heredity and outside influences
such as enviromental effects from chemicals, smoke, or whatever.

Ted Quick