[IP] A1C question

Hello pumpers.  I'd like your thoughts on this.  An endo talked at our last
support group meeting and said that if your a1c was 6 or 10 and your bgs go up
and down, then the a1c result is irrelevant.  I was surprised by this
statement because I thought the DCCT showed that a low a1c prevented
complications.  According to this endo, it is NOT the low a1c, but the
consistency of relatively normal bgs.  If this is indeed the case, then why
are most endos (mine for one) only interested in that a1c result and not very
interested in those day to day bgs.  The endos and we should be concentrating
on the bgs and NOT the a1c.  Again, if this is true, then the a1c is not very
important in the BIG picture.  I want to prevent those complications and my
a1c is good at 6.0, but I do have alot of fluctuation from exercise.  Am I
just as likely to have the complications as someone with an a1c of 10.0?