[IP] Being a diabetic mom

Hi Jan,

I have 2 kids, a son, aged 10, and a daughter, aged 17 mos. I had my son
when I was on MDI and my daughter with a pump. I definitely prefer the
latter, but that goes for life in general, too. :-)

I, too, find it really hard to take the time to care for myself, especially
with a baby. Things are getting easier now my daughter's getting older, but
there were days when she was tiny that I only checked my BGs once. That's
absolutely unheard of for me (or at least me in the last 15 years).

I think a lot of times it's simply a case of taking (or making) the time,
making yourself a priority--or at least trying to do that. I also try to
look at it as not just doing something for me, but taking care of myself
for my kids, so they can have a healthy mom.

I was so obsessive/compulsive about keeping my BGs in the normal range when
I was pregnant. It amazes me how motivated I was to do it for my child, but
I still find it hard to do for myself. The pump is definitely the best,
though. My A1cs are still in the normal range, even when I'm not being
obsessive/compulsive.

Jenny

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)