Re: [IP] Site problem

Site infections can be caused by irritation and two common culprits are the
humalog itself (some people can tolerate it longer than others, any kind of
bump or itch is a sign the site has had enough) and tape or prep
allergies.   It took me years to learn that the minute it itches or is bumpy
it needs to come out.  Mixing insulins helps sites last longer and the newer
tape that comes with the sets are much milder than the old stuff.  Regular
adhesive tape generally causes me problems.  Using just soap and water also
seems to help.  If you leave them in once they are irritated, the rubbing
will cause the irritation to become infected (as a teenager, we knew one
doctor who advanced this theory and was pooh-poohed by everyone.  Years
later, when minimed produced the sof sets and the rep told us they were less
likely to get infected b/c of the rubbing we learned he'd been right!).
Some people are allergic to the metal type needles, a few have trouble with
the teflon/plastic -- the soft ones, I've forgotten what they are made of.
If either kind of needle is rubbing and you leave it in, you will probably
get an infection eventually.  The question is simply how long you can
outlast it.