I am having problems now with Humalog insulin losing its potency.
I use to get 7 days on a full glass cartridge 315 IU,but Humalog
stops working completely on the sixth day. My blood sugar will stay high
300 no matter how much I bolus to bring it down. The insulin site will
be fine using the rapid metal needle.I have pulled needle from site
and insulin flows freely so no problem with infusion set. I called my
pump supplier,and I was told that I was not alone with this loss of
potency problem.
   I take a fresh cartridge from fridge and reload,then I go back to
normal blood sugars.
   I called LILLY today and I was told that Humalog is not yet approved
for insulin pump but still going through some final studies. I did give
LILLY the batch control number from bottle of Humalog. I was told that
it was possible that the Humalog could have been left out of fridge
by shipping-freight carrier or pharmacy.
   I just want every insulin pump user to look out for this
potency problem. I'll hate to change the insulin cartridge to a
fresh one from fridge every three days. I just want Humalog to hold
its potency for 7 days. My costs on supplies and insulin will go up
if I cannot trust Humalog. I might try Velosulin if this problem
keeps happening.
Raleigh ( will be pumping 1 yr. March 17th )