Re: [IP] Ketones

Jennifer G. wrote:

> Exactly!  When my ketones are high, I've noticed that I need to take
> more insulin to bring down the bg and the ketones.  Ketones can also be
> a good indication of an infection.  I used to be bad about checking for
> ketones.  In college I developed some symptoms that were very much like
> a virus (nausea, fatigue).  On top of that, I started taking less
> insulin since I wasn't eating due to the nausea.  Turns out I had a
> bladder infection, which was causing ketones and driving my bg's up.
> Luckily, I was able to get antibiotics and adjusted my insulin dosage
> before I went into full-blown DKA.  Ever since then, I've watched my
> ketones carefully!
>
> Jennifer
>
> <<When ketones are in the moderate to large range, and the BG is also
> high (over 250), then you could need 20% more insulin on top of the high
> BG correction scale. Ketones also let you know if you are headed for
> major metabolic complications.
> Barbara B.>>

  I passed ketones for 2 months The endo.could not find out why.  I was in
the hospital lost 15 pounds that I didn't need to lose.  I was sick throwing
up my food or to sick to eat.  They found out I had gastroparesis.  I went
on a study drug from Canada called Domperidone I have been feeling a lot
better since I have been taking this drug and being on the insulin pump.
Tammy