Re: [IP] Newly diagnosed infant -Reply

Kids are growing, and have different needs than adults.  I have had diabetes
since 1970(dx'd Jan 71), and no(knock on wood) complications.  I fully
believe it this due in a very large part to the excellent care I got from my
pediatric endo.  I am sure that a different pediatric endo might not have
been able to do as much.  When I was growing up, most diabetic kids suffered
infections on a regular basis, and were hospitalized at least annually for
some sort of complications, I have never needed hospitalization except for
diagnosis, to adjust my insulin at puberty and when I stopped growing.  This
was the norm for his patients.   I do now know what is common now,but I bet
some parents around here do, and I would look for someone who does not think
the norm is acceptable.

I do not know how responsible your daughter is at 5, but I would be scared
to let my 5 year old son use a pump, even though I think it is the best
means for control available.  With multiple daily injections, at least you
have control over the insulin delivery(none, unless you are there).

If your doctor is good, and been doing a good job, you might give his
opinion a lot of weight, and be careful of moving to a doctor just because
he will put the pump on a young child(especially if he thinks it is alright
without even seeing the child).

Good luck!!

"Gee, no......G3!"

Netstreet Networks, L.L.C. - No Brakes HTML and Database.......
                 -  Very Y2K Compliant -
email:   email @ redacted
cell:    703-626-5532
PGP key available for encrypted transmissions

Be sure to check out http://www.sincerelybill.com/ to see why Netscape named
Sincerely, Bill their #1 What's Cool site for 10/1/98!!

CNN says "Sincerely, Bill is fun whether you love Clinton or hate him!" -
11/5/98 http://www.cnn.com/ONLINE/