Re: [IP] school nurses--ARGHHHH!!!!

In a message dated 3/8/99 5:17:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, email @ redacted

<< when her bg fell to 17 today they gave her juice
 and frosting with no crackers or long acting carbs.Then they got all upset
 when her bg fell again in about an hour.How stupid can they be?????? >>

        I can imagine how upset you are about this!  I have an idea that may
help you.  Do you have a pager?  I have it written in to my sons' orders at
school that if they are low, they are to treat the low and then call me (or
page me) for futher instructions (every time).  This way it's up to me what
they do next and I'm always on top of things.  Even though they have also had
the same nurse for 2 1/2 years, I never assume that if there is a substitute,
they will do what I normally do for them.  This might be an idea for you too.
The low always gets treated with juice or glucose tabs but then they have to
call or page you #1 so you know they had a low, and #2 so that you can tell
them what you want them to do next, like what happened today with not giving
some other snack.  I hope this can help you in some way, it seems to work well
for us, but each situation is different so good luck.

Take care,