Re: [IP] Ketones

<<  why do you
 have to check them?  If your bs is high and you give the insulin, what
 good does checking for ketones do?  I've only read to drink liquids
 (h2o) to flush them out, but  it just seems like they will disappear
 on their own once the bs goes back to your normal range.  I'm
 obviously missing a piece of the puzzle.  >>
When ketones are in the moderate to large range, and the BG is also high (over
250), then you could need 20% more insulin on top of the high BG correction
scale. Ketones also let you know if you are headed for major metabolic
Barbara B.