[IP] diabetic in Jail

Greg wrote:
So what's the scoop on the diabetic in jail? >From what little I have
picked up on from the postings here--the story has not found its way to
Seattle, apparently--people think a grave injustice is being committed. Do
I understand that folks are rallying for this guy's cause?
    There was no criminal intent, but it appears the diabetic was
seriously negligent in some way. Diabetes should not be an excuse for this
tragedy. He should be charged with reckless driving or vehicular
manslaughter at the very least. I don't know the case law or the statutes
in Florida, but not controlling a diagnosed disease and causing two deaths
puts the defendant squarely at fault.
    I am concerned that a person with diabetes should receive proper care
while in jail, however. Is he still in jail? I can't believe the guy
wasn't released on his recognizance due to the diabetes, or at least given
a low bail amount. Someone tell me, so I can quit this ranting: what's the
story here?

As far as diabetics recieving proper care in the dept of corrections, they
do.  I do speak of this through experience.  I have worked in  a med sec
prison, and i worked with an inmate who was diabetic, and the prison i
worked for had about 1000 inmates and one meter, but a very low population
of diabetics in that particular facility.
	I agree that he (the driver) seems negligent, but i know very
little about the story.