Re: [IP] diabetes and driving

to add my $.02

When I last went to my endo, I had a reaction, not severe, but my bs was about
70.  He gave me some peanut butter crackers and a nite bite bar (peanut
butter...yuck!, chocolate is much better....ymmv), but he wouldn't let me leave
until my bs was above 100.  I now check bs before driving.  Hmmm, a $.70 strip vs.
killing someone beside yourself... not much choice.  I know, there has been a time
I woke up at McDonalds drinking a regular Coke in the parking lot.  One time it
happened to me in Salt Lake City.  How would you like to wake up in a town that
you don't live, wondering what the heck was going on, and you don't know where you
are, and haven't a clue where you are going?  Luckily SLC has that cool addressing
scheme.  I'm just glad I didn't hurt anyone.

On the other side, my (soon to be ex-)wife accused me of hitting her when my blood
sugar was low.  Since I couldn't specifically deny doing this, and she couldn't
prove intent, I have a civil restraining order against me.  The point I'm getting
to is:  stay in good control.  It's cheaper and much less messy than claiming, "I
don't know what I'm doing when my blood sugar is low."  A judge will decide
against you every time.

This happened last June.  Since then, my hbA1c has gone from 8.4 to 7.1 on 2-3
shots per day, my cost in maintenance has gone from $20/month to $120/month (my
strips and syringes aren't covered by my insurance), but looks to go to $80/month
as my pump (soon to be officially installed on me) and supplies are covered
insurance, my children now live with me.

I learned from my brother how not to use drugs, so I'm asking you to learn from
me.  Wear ID, test yourself 4-5 times per day (you have ten fingers, use one per
day, so it gets used every 10 days), and keep your blood sugar under control.
I've had diabetes for 27 years (since I was 3), and I've seen both sides of
control, good and bad.  Good control is a pain, but it is worth it.

Jeff