[IP] hypoglycemia and emergency personnel

After reading the posts on the diabetic in jail (and the past ones on
emergency personnel), I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.  My 15 year old
son had a severe hypoglycemic reaction late one night last August.  I was
taking my older son back to college, so two of my daughters who were home
recognized the problem and gave him glucagon.  Then they panicked, decided to
take him to the hospital and carried him to the car.  By the time they got a
few blocks from home, they decided to call EMS.  When EMS got there they took
his blood glucose (150 by this time), but since he was still confused, they
questioned my daughters repeatedly about what 'drugs' my son was on.  This
continued even after he was in the ER until I got there (about 45 minutes
after they did).  The most disappointing thing about all this was that the
resident treating my son has a wife with diabetes who has had hypoglycemic
reactions, too.  Anyway, the point I am finally getting to is the need for a
medical ID bracelet or necklace.  My son had outgrown his and I just had not
replaced it at that time- big mistake.   If a person with diabetes has a
reaction while driving, it would be even more essential to have medical ID so
valuable time won't be wasted when treatment is needed.  My son's endo
reiterated the need for medical ID.  He said that with young males it is
especially important, since drug use will be the first thing suspected if he
isn't acting right.  I know everyone on this list knows how important this is,
but like me (medical professional that I am) you may have 'just not gotten
around to it'.
Annette, KY RN, son with IDDM dx 8/91, not on pump yet (but hoping to be soon)