[IP] Nat'l History Day

Hi all,

I have to brag about my son a bit...  Yesterday was our regional competion
for the National History Day competition.  The theme for this year's
competion is  Science, Invention, and Technology: Impact, Influence, and
Change.  My 12 year old son prepared an exhibit on "Inventions and
Discoveries to Treat Diabetes."  He had a timeline starting with the
Egyptians noticing "too much urine" and proceding on through the discovery
of Insulin and the invention of the pump.  He had a shocking set of
pictures of a young boy both before and after insulin was discovered.  He
had pictures of both pumps, as well as some interesting statistics.  He
also velcroed to the poster my old glucose meter (Tracer II - the kind you
had to time and wipe the blood off), and an almost empty bottle of
Velosulin, and he glued an injection syringe on as well (with the needle
clipped off).  But the icing on the cake was the MM507 pump that my endo
loaned him.  I loaded it up with water and showed him how to bolus with it.
 It impressed the socks off the judges when he demonstrated his knowledge
of the pump and explained how it makes life so much easier for us.

Geoff won first place and is advancing on to the statewide competition on
April 16th.  I am so proud!!  But perhaps the most touching part of the
whole thing was the way he acted when he got to carrry the pump around.
(We didn't let him leave it with the exhibit, since it is a loaner, so he
kept it in his pocket all day.)  He purposely left a bit of the tubing
showing so he could pretend he was a real pumper.  I didn't realize he
thought it was that cool!  I eavesdropped as he was explaining his project
to some of the neighborhood kids the day before the competition.  I've
never made a big deal about my Diabetes around them and I don't think they
really realized that I have it.  (I think they thought I carry a pager.)
They were fascinated by the whole thing and really cheered Geoff on.

All in all, it's been a wonderful weekend!

Mary Jean