Your best defense against this type of thing from happening again is a good
virus scanner (McAfee - Network Associates, Norton Anit Virus etc.) This is not
a recommendation of a particular vendor.  Do your research on them.  Then any
time you get a file from some one save it first and the virus scanner should
scan the file and tell you it is infected.
Hope this helps in the future and for other that haven't gotten a virus.
Donna