[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #849

Well, perhaps I can add my input to the insurance question.  I got a MM506 in Dec.
1997---then had some major heart surgery and some other minor setbacks...when I
finally scheduled to begin using the pump in Nov. 1998, the pump was gone.  I think
that perhaps it may have gotten in with some bags that I took to goodwill---or the
dump---
either way, it wa not in my possession.  I called my homeowners and was not denied,
but was told to look furter for it and if I didn't find it I must first file a
police report.  In the meantime, I called my insurance BC/BS, and explained my
situation to them and they told me if my dr. would write a letter stating medical
neccessity they would replace it...much to my amazement, I did, he did and they
did.  I am now a pumper for 1 month.  There are times that I badmouth BC/BS, but the
end result is they replaced the pump---my co pay is 5%---resulting in an out of
pocket expense for both pumps of app. $250 each tome--$500 total, but much better
than $10,000.

iDate: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:55:18 EST