Re: [IP] diet

Robin,

If Kevin is eating carbs b/c of too much insulin he will keep gaining weight so
the first and most important thing is to work on adjusting his insulin doses.
When they really work (a hard thing sometimes to get too), he should see only
normal childhood growth weight gain.

As for these diets, well.... they are a mixed bag.  High fat and protein are hard
on the kidneys long term.  On the one hand, if they substantially keep his bgs
close to normal and he couldn't stay within reasonable control before, the risk
may be worth it, at least for a few years.  On the other hand, if you still end up
with ok but imperfect control, the combined stress of the protein and/or fat and
the less than perfect bgs can cause or be a cause of early kidney failure and
sometimes contribute to other factors.   Any extreme diet is dangerous since it
means that you are not getting a well balanced mix of nutrients.  Emphasizing
protein for a while is something you could experiment with.  High protein will not
stabalize his bg the way it does yours because the process is different.  He needs
insulin to match whatever insulin needs he has (food, hormones, etc).  It's all
about how well you match the insulin (sometimes difficult to pull off).  If you
have hypoglycemiz, your body puts out too much insulin and will overreact to
glucose so eating protein helps to offset that mechanism.

Ruth