[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V2 #841

I've been thrown in the pool with a minimed (I think it was either a 504 or 505
-- back a while) with no bad results.  The earlier ones, I think it was the 501
or 502, seemed to do ok from dunkings too but we were soundly cautioned to send
it immediately for refurbishing so minimed sent out a replacement same day fed
ex and I sent in my old one.   At any rate, in 17 1/2 years, my water
catastrophes all predate the small pumps.

Just a note in regard to showering and swimming with the pump on.  I think
there are some people (I was under the impression mostly men) who actually swim
with a pump on.  There is certainly no reason you can't do it.  However,
women's bathings suits lack pockets and while my pump rests tightly in my suit
when its dry, wearing it in a wet suit ruins the suit -- it drags too much.  On
top of which, the pump drags in the water. And, I need carbs not insulin to
swim laps.  So, my experience is that wearing the pump to swim is a pain in the
neck and I have to suspend it anyway.  Showering is equally inconvenient.  The
quick release makes showering easier but long long before quick release, we
were going through endless mechanations to find ways to take the pump off to
shower.  You can simply snap the syringe out of the case and them bolus to
prime it when you reconnect.  Basically being able to disconnect for showers,
swimming, trying fancy clothes on etc was just about the greatest change in my
life since I spent most of my teenage and college years on a pump and the
absolute last thing I would want is to wear it when it is suspended and I am
doing something like swimming or showering.  I'm not very big so maybe is you
are a bit larger you don't notice as much, but I do.  An afternoon at the pool
is fairly easy since I just disconnect to go in the water.  At any rate, if you
like to do lots of soaking in the water for long periods without exercise, a
waterproof pump might be useful.

I think if I were buying a pump I would find the waterproof function of the
disetronics sounds attractive.  In fact, though, that particular feature would
have little effect on my daily life.  So, whichever pump you are considering,
be careful about any single factor.


Jack Granowski wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:52:27 -0800
> > From: Sam Skopp <email @ redacted>
> > Subject: Re: [IP] Nearing a choice
> >
> > >Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:54:55 -0500
> > >I was at a work party, when all of my coworkers were being thrown in the
> > >pool, I would have had to run, hide and take off my pump if I were using
> > >an mm.
> >
> > Not a problem... the MiniMed probably would have been fine... it is water
> > resistant, and is designed to survive brief dunkings.
> >
> > Sam
> >
> That is much better than what they told me 5 1/2 years ago.  They said
> NO swimming, showering, etc.  I was in the pool for an hour, and that is
> considered 'brief', and I wouldn't have had to immediately jump out and
> disconnect?  When you say 'probably' that would mean there is no chance
> of a problem, or a small chance that someone would be without a pump for
> 2-3 days (no replacement)?
> I have been showering, swimming, etc., for 5 1/2 years everyday with
> absolutely no problems.  If mm can match that, they should really
> advertise it, as that, and a spare, are the major reasons that I have
> seen on this list, and others, that many choose d.
> As most others have said, most like the features of the pump that they
> now have and anyone should choose the pump with the best local support
> and that which their own doc recommends.  For me support is a non issue
> as in 5 1/2 years I've only needed support once, and that was when I was
> in Washington DC for a vacation and support was fine in calling
> Minnetonka.  My current doc would rather I had mm, as most of his
> patients have them, but that is not enough of a reason to change.
> --
> Jack Granowski
> email @ redacted
> ---
> If people are good only because they fear punishment, and
> hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
>  - Einstein
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Insulin Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/
> for mail subscription assistance, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org

Insulin Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/
for mail subscription assistance, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org