Re: [IP] Children on pumps

> I think most of the research shows that kids need parent involvement
> until they are in their mid-teens for successful control of
> She can't
> (or I won't let her) change her basal rates, figure carbs for most
> foods that don't have a label on them, or decide when to set a
> temporary basal rate.

Lily began to take over the carb calculations, etc... at about age
13. She still is not comfortable with setting basal rates (she's 15
now), but will at least move them up and down by a 0.1 or more if she
starts to run high or low for an extended period of time (monthly)
but wants re-assurance that I think its OK. I always play dumb now
and push her to make the decision which she does. This year on her
own, she has used the "air in the syringe" trick when she forgot to
change her set one day and ran out of insulin at school. All was fine
and the trick worked well. She was very pleased with herself I think.

> She's learning, but hasn't mastered, putting
> in her own Tender infusion set. Some of that is my need to maintain
> control. Obviously, younger kids will have parents doing more
> things, older kids will have parents doing fewer tasks.  It's a
> lifelong, growing and learning process.

Well said, however if either Mimi or I tried to put in and infusion
set for Lily, I suspect she would firmly plant it between our eyes.
She absolutely never allowed any of us to do shots, finger pricks,
etc...  I think this is an individual thing that probably varys from
person to person, but this parent wouldn't even attempt it with Lily.

Michael