[IP] Re: Children pumping

In a message dated 98-03-31 12:29:28 EST, email @ redacted writes:

<< Hi good luck to you and Kayla. How wonderful that your endo let you get
 the pump with no hassle. Some parents in this group have had to fight for
 their childs pump. This is a great forum with a bunch of knowledgable
 people. All of the parents of pumper children here are happy with the pump
 routine. >>

Thanks for the support.  Yes, we are lucky to have an endo that supports us in
this decision.  Unfortunately, we have to drive 2 1/2 hours just to find a
ped. endo.  We live in Savannah, GA and there are no ped. endo's here.  There
are 2 diabetes educators here that I have always felt comfortable working
with, but a situation occurred last night that has left me feeling very angry
with these two people, and I wanted to share what happened and ask how other
parents would have handled it.

I was helping the 2 DE's with a fundraising event to benefit the children with
diabetes in our area.  They both know we are working to get Kayla on the pump,
and neither really approve of it.  I already knew that, but last night they
both pretty much let me know in no uncertain terms that they felt we were
putting Kayla's life at risk, that her ped. endo was only agreeing to this to
be able to "research" her for his own benefit, that we'll end up in the ER
because she would "push the buttons" on the pump and end up low, yada, yada,

At first I was taken aback that they decided to push their "well-intentioned"
feelings on me without me asking what they thought.  But after the initial
shock, I got angry.  I politely listened to what they had to say, and
countered that I know Kayla and she's been very involved with this decision.
She knows the dangers of "pushing the buttons" and would not mess with the
pump.  One of the DE's said that Kayla would and then we'd be in the ER
fighting for her life.  I changed the subject because I knew trying to explain
any more would just be wasted words on deaf ears.

The nerve of that woman to think she knows my child better than me or that she
knows more about children on the pump than me.  She has absolutely no
experience with kids on the pump and from her statements, she hasn't even
bothered to reasearch how kids on the pump have done.

I'm not sure if I should have handled this situation differently, or if there
is anything else I should do.  I'm still very angry and disappointed because I
have always had a good relationship with these women.  I don't know how it's
going to be now.  I feel like I've been slapped in the face.

Sorry to be so long-winded.  I'm sure other parents met resistance when they
decided to put their child on the pump.  This situation was the first verbal
attack I've had about this and I was totally unprepared for it.  Thanks for
letting me vent!  :)