Re: [IP] Dex meter

I was having problems getting consistent results, compared to the One Touch
and just with subsequent tests on the Dex.  It was always with higher blood
sugars and the Dex would show me higher than the One Touch, sometimes by a
lot, which scared the heck out of me.

In relation to the One-Touch, the numbers will apparently be different, due
to the types of measuring it does.  This is okay, as long as you figure out
what works for you.  I went from treating a low blood sugar at 70 mg and
below on the One Touch to 85 mg and below on the Dex.   If I waited to 70
on the Dex, I would be very shaky and into a reaction that would rebound.

The technique part I changed is as follows;

In general, always hold the Dex completely horizontal and keep the strip
against the finger until the machine beeps, usually at about 28 seconds.  I
also have started to get smaller drops of blood to use consistently.  There
was a problem at one point when too much blood was skewing the reading, but
I think that was strip related (they recalled them all).

To retest in order to check if your blood sugar was right the first time,
which I do if I am really high, or it just doesn't feel like what the
machine says, you have to take blood from a different place the second
time.  I was just using the same hole, and that is apparently a bad idea
and will mess the readings up.

Since I have done these things, I have not had a problem.  My last 2 endos
basically said that the Dex is fine, just stick to one brand and get to
know it.  Then all your blood sugars will make sense in relation to each

>What did you do to your technique to work out the problem with accuracy. I was
>testing a dex and found when I would be in the low 200  range the dex would
>put me in the 300 to 350 range.I was comparing it to an advantage.It only
>seemed to give diffrent readings while I was on the high side. How did you
>apply the blood?

Vancouver, BC, Canada