[IP] Melissa's high bgs - Lily's high bgs

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Rmhb1126 wrote:
>     Melissa's ....previously mentioned  high bgs, her CDE felt that since
> grown & gained a few lbs, her insulin needs were higher & she simply wasn't
> taking enough insulin to cover her meals..Also felt that since she's on
> Velosulin, splitting the bolus wasn't accomplishing anything....So she
> begrudgingly followed his suggestions, and guess what?????...vastly improved
> bgs!!!!........I think a MAJOR factor for Melissa is failure to wait awhile
> after bolusing before eating....

Hmmm..  Lily's high bg which we thought might have been related to
Humalog problems are definetly NOT.

First, Lily has switched back to straight Velosulin but will probably
switch back to a mix very soon. She is injecting H directly into the
Comfortset to compensate for any highs.

Re: Melissa's highs, Lily must bolus with R at least 45 min to 1 hour
before eating to prevent post-prandial highs followed several hours later
by a low.

The weird bgs Lily was experiencing have been explained finally.

2 months ago her basal requirements were this:

11:00pm 0.9u/hr
2:30 am 0.7u/hr
7:30 am 0.8u/hr
11:00am 0.4u/hr

Things have changed - adolesence you know

4:00 pm 0.1u/hr
2:30 am 1.2u/hr
7:30 am 0.7u/hr not sure about this yet
11:00am 0.4u/hr not sure about this yet

Notice the major dawn effect and the big drop in
'go to sleep' basals which up to now have been
stable for over 2 years. She was going low and re-bounding
often and haveing all the related problems. We have been
to stabalize her basals for several weeks and it looks
pretty good now. Periodically, all her basals, ratios,
etc... get checked, but this change was REAL FAST.