Re: [IP] Accu-Chek vs.OneTouch Profile(some questions for DAN)

At 20:51 3/26/98 -0500, Marylyn wrote:
>  DAN,
>     Thanks again for the information!   I don't understand one thing.  The low
>and high light bothering the profile.  I never knew this could be a problem and
>remembering the last readings is standard for the profile.  What should I
>beware of with my one touch profile?
> Marilyn

The OneTouch Profile (as well as many other meters) uses a photoreflectance
technique to measure BG.  Essentially what this means is that it shines a
light on the strip, and how much light gets reflected back to a
photodetector tells it how light- or dark-colored the strip is.  Since the
strips get darker-colored as the BG level goes up, this gives the meter the
information it needs to predict what the BG level was.

Unfortunately this means that when the ambient light levels are out of the
ordinary (i.e., extremely dark or extremely bright), the amount of light
that the photodetector receives can change slightly.  This is especially
true for extremely bright lighting situations (like direct sunlight).

It's pretty unlikely that you'd do a test in a dark enough situation to
cause any problems with the test accuracy, since you wouldn't be able to see
to get the sample applied properly.  But direct sunlight is another matter.
Try not to do a test with direct sunlight shining on the meter.  Usually
just shading the meter with your body will be sufficient to alleviate any
potential inaccuracy.

The sensor-type meters, like the Advantage, Complete, and (I think) the
Glucometer Elite, are not affected by light levels at all, since they don't
use photoreflectance.