[IP] History on Kerry Spitler

     For those who have asked about Kerry, thank you for your concern.
Kerry first developed a hyperthyroidism in 1988.  Her endo at the time
recommended surgery to correct the problem and she had 2/3's of her thyroid
removed.  Her endo, however, did not put her on a hormone supplement.

     Shortly after her hyperthyroidism she started to have control problems.
(For the previous 8 years, she never had a problem with lows and never even
owned a glucose monitor.)  When she started to notice the problems, her endo
said that it was her fault and never really attempted to determine if there
was a medical condition causing these occurances.

     Over the next 8 years we kept trying to convince her endo that there
was something wrong.  The endo basically decided to let her GP handle her
case.  In the mean time, Kerry had 3 major kidney infections that almost
cost her the use of her kidneys.

      It was during this time when her diabetes started to swirl out of
control.  She had 4 hospitalizations due to DKA and her endo still said it
was her own fault.  Kerry was having a very difficult time coping with all
of the problems.  Her bs would swing from hour to hour on occasions.  Her
endo did not even prescribe glucagon to help treat her when she bottomed

     One day in 1996, Kerry had a day off of work.  I came home and found
her in an insulin reaction.  Not knowing how long she had been in it, I
immediately called for a ambulance.  She was thankfully revived in a quick
amount of time.  We knew that she had to eat, so we went to a restaurant.
Almost an hour later she was already going into another insulin reaction.  I
said enough is enough.

       I had injured myself in a fall and went to an "emergicare" facility.
Kerry went with me.  When the doctor came into the room, he briefly glanced
at me.  He saw Kerry sitting in her chair and went immediately to her and
asked her if shewas having a problem with her thyroid.  Kerry said not that
she knew of, and the doctor returned to me.

     The next day we got her an appointment with a new endo.  He tested her
for hyperthyroidism and found that it had returned.  This time Kerry did the
dye treatment and is currently of synthroid.  The endo is having a difficult
time with her.  He did prescribe glucagon and I have been very thankful for
it.  Since he prescribed the glucagon,  Kerry has had approximately 150
injections along with multiple ambulance calls.  In June 1997, her endo
decided that there was no other alternative, short of transplant, to help
her.  He placed her on the pump.

     Although Kerry is still having a problem with control, for the most
part her frequent insulin reactions (some bs's as low as 15---yes 15!) are
starting to get further and further apart.  She was on the buffered R, But
as of today her endo switched her to H.

     Her gastro has developed due to the lack of control over the years And
may be staring to affect her in other ways.  Kerry's endo is setting up
different tests with other Dr's to determine just how bad it is.

     The endo today drew of a new TSH and hopefully it has leved off some.
It has been running a little high, but not to bad.  As for her glycated
heboglobin it has been running somewhat low (in the 4's).

     I apologize for the length, but it almost impossible to briefly give
her history wihtout including these details.  I hope this helps you to
understand why she is looking for suggestions to help her in trying to
regain control of her life as a diabetic.

      Brian (Kerry's husband)