Re: [IP] Accu-Chek vs.OneTouch Profile(some questions for DAN)

Dan Oliver wrote:

> At 00:46 3/25/98 -0500, Marylyn wrote:
> >  Dear Dan,
> >Are saying that the profile isn't accurate?  The accu-chek is a better way to
> >go?  I haven't used that one for about seven yrs. since I've been using the
> >profile.  Are the highs on the Profile not really high enough????
> >Marilyn from Maryland
> No, that wasn't what I meant to imply at all.
> All I was pointing out was that the Profile produces whole-blood results
> (which is, after all, what it's testing).  The Advantage/Complete, on the
> other hand, seems to produce "artificial plasma" results, in an attempt to
> more closely mimic the numbers that lab tests might produce.
> Both meters are very good, and very precise for home-testing instruments.
> But the Advantage/Complete meters seem to consistently produce numbers that
> are 10-12% higher than what the Profile produces for the same blood sample.
> The bottom line is that if you _switch_ from a Profile to an Advantage or a
> Complete, you'll need to raise your target BG range about 12% or so, or you
> may end up having more hypoglycemic episodes.  Conversely, if one were to
> switch from an Advantage/Complete to a Profile, one would logically decrease
> their target ranges by the same amount.
> As far as choosing between the two meters (i.e., the Profile and the
> Complete), I personally prefer the Complete (I was a Profile user for
> several years).  It has more features than the Profile, and uses biosensor
> strips instead of the photoreflectance type.  What this means is that you
> don't have to worry about testing in high- or low-light conditions.
> I also like the fact that the Complete (and Advantage) will tag BG readings
> if the test was run outside the specified operating temperature range.
> Lastly, the Advantage/Complete strips require a bit less blood than the OT
> strips.
> But the Profile is still a very good meter, and was just as precise as the
> Advantage/Complete in my tests.
> I hope this clears up any confusion...
> DanO

     Thanks again for the information!   I don't understand one thing.  The low
and high light bothering the profile.  I never knew this could be a problem and
remembering the last readings is standard for the profile.  What should I beware
of with my one touch profile?