Re: [IP] Low-CHO diets...I'm perplexed

I keep reading raves and questions about Bernstein. Janet's earlier post seems to
address Ted's big questions.  But, I was thinking and suddenly remember two

When I first became diabetic (age 11), I was also studying ballet fairly
seriously.  There was enormous pressure to be thin.  The eating behavior of
teenage and preteen dancers and their teachers is, in retrospect, frightening but
at the time we tried all kinds of dietsto stay thin.  The most popular was to eat
nothing but one grapefruit a day and all the as near to only protein as possible
you wanted.  I learned later than what this diet did was to put dancers in a
state of DKA -- breaking down body tissue to create energy.  From what I remember
(from those anxious parents who dragged their kids to sensible doctors), this did
not show up in blood tests if you did something first.  I just can't remember
what it was??

The other is all the diets my mother found in the 1970's that would provoke your
body to make insulin or would supply (???) plant insulin in its place.  The idea
was that the more your insulin dose, the "sicker" you were.  If you could replace
your insulin with the correct food supplement or provoke your body to produce
more, you would take less insulin, be thinner and consequently more likely to
avoid long term complications like leg amputation and heart disease.  I remember
about a week of Jerusalem Artichokes and another of green beans.  I suspect kids
who really lived on this stuff really did get thinner and possibly took less
insulin.  BUT these foods did not replace the body's natural insulin and since I
don't remember anyone adjusting out shot doses, I suspect a more likely scenario
was that we were all sneaking other kinds of food.  So, those of you considering
Bernstein, please think it through!