MMGOB wrote:

> In a message dated 3/25/98 11:49:38 AM, Dano wrote:
> <<1. Since diabetics are much more prone to heart disease, wouldn't the
> increased fat intake raise the lipid levels in the bloodstream, thereby
> increasing the risk of heart disease/atherosclerosis even higher?>>
> YES!
> <<2. Since diabetics' kidneys are already badly stressed, wouldn't the
> increased protein intake put extra strain on the kidneys and speed up their
> degradation?>>
> YES!
> <<3. Wouldn't the slow digestion of the relatively large quantities of fat and
> protein make it very difficult to figure out one's basal rates?  Especially
> if gastroparesis were involved?>>
> NO, it would make it impossible!  It also doesn't take into consideration that
> carbohydrates are needed for energy and other body functions and maintenance.
> Weird protein diets are not new to the diet world.  Weight drops off quickly,
> giving the appearance of success.  They are misleading and often dangerous.
> Look at the food pyramid.  A healthy diet consists of all food groups in
> varying amounts.
> My $.02
> Marti

  Dear MMGOB,
     Thank you for all your questions.  The book answers them all and so does
someone further on down talking about low-cho diets.  All I know is for the past
two days since I've changed my diet I haven't had any lows or high levels over
170.  I am much happier now since I'm not rebounding to 400 which I was almost
doing every day.   My cholesteral is very low so I'm sure this diet couldn't hurt
me.  Also he tells people not to eat fruit.  I love fruit and have had at least
one orange every day.  He explains in the book that all his patients with high
cholesteral have brought their's down alot since they have changed there diet.
The low carbs. leads to more control and of course this leads to less
complications. Of course it's important to take vitamins.

How is your control?  Could this work for you?