Re: [IP] Low-CHO diets...I'm perplexed

I'm so glad to see someone asking intelligent questions!!  A few things to
consider (obviously I don't have answers any more "right" than anyone elses):

1). Since poor control causes so many other problems -- especially high
cholesteral, etc. -- people who manage to achieve better control on a low carb
diet could actually be better off.  My doctor once explained the ADA diet to me
that way -- first, bgs b/c no matter how healthy the rest of what you do is, the
high BGs are eating away at everything else.

2).  Yes, carbs are much easier for some of us with gastroparesis and yes large
amounts of protein do seem to stress kidney function if the kidney function is
already partly impaired.    However, I can't tell -- someone who had read
Bernstein's book can hopefully answer this -- but I wonder if the diet spreads
out the fat and protein in such a way that the gastroparesis becomes more

3).  Many diabetics seem to eat the all American white bread diet.  I imagine
that good BGs on a low carb diet is as high or higher in nutrients, esp. if you
are getting more of them from better BG control.  However, I haven't figured out
if high fiber foods (wheat bread, rice, couscous, vegetable dishes, salads, etc9
are as bad as what people on list serves are calling "carbs".  It sounded like
on author was not including things like cucumbers.

4).  Since Humalog works so quickly I am suddenly finding it hard to match
insulin to fat and protein foods instead of the other way around.  Wouldn't the
success of the program depend on your ability to calibrate food to insulin?  If
so, predicting glucose absorption curves might be far more important than
whether they came from fat or carbs??   With my gastroparesis, high fat foods
are a planning nightmare!

Well, anyone else have any ideas?