Re:[IP]Re:Dr.Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions(I need his Phone #)

Janet Wiener wrote:

> > I've recently started reading a wonderful book called DIABETES SOLUTIONS by
> > Dr. Bernstein who is a diabetic.  He explains that a diet very low in
> > carbohydrates saved his life.  I have been on this diet for a couple days and
> > haven't had any highs.  He explains why no more than 15 carbs per meal is
> > important.  The diet is high protein and fat.  It is an excellent book and
> > tells alot about taking control of your life.  HAS ANYONE OUT THERE read this
> > book yet?
> >
> > Marilyn from Maryland
> I know Dr. Bernstein. He was one of the first to realize that keeping
> normal blood sugars can prevent and sometimes reverse complications. That
> was a pretty far-out observation in the 70s and early 80s, long before the
> DCCT. He was also one of the first to recommend MDI.  He himself is type I,
> was originally an engineer, and went to medical school is his 40s
> specifically to help other diabetics.
> He is also an extremist. Back before Humalog, the only way to have NORMAL
> (under 130) post-prandials was to either eat very little carb, or take too
> much insulin. Hence the low carb diet. It's also the easiest way to avoid
> mis-guessing how much insulin to take (when the amount of carb is tiny).
> If you carb count accurately, and don't have an unpredictable long-term
> insulin in your body, taking the right amount of insulin is easy.
> I was a patient of his shortly after I was diagnosed, in 1983. He
> immediately put me on one dose of U per day, plus a sliding-scale shot of R
> for every meal and snack. I gave up on the low-carb diet early on, but kept
> the MDI regime.  I credit this treatment plan with getting me through my
> senior year of high school, college, living abroad, and 5 years of grad
> school with VERY irratic eating and sleeping patterns, and a lot of
> exercise. I had a fair number of (controllable) lows and highs, but my
> HbA1c's were 7s and 8s. And I have no complications, after 14 years.
> The pump is a better treatment method, IMHO.
> Janet
> email @ redacted

  Dear Janet,
        Do you know Dr. Bernstein's phone number ?   I really want to talk with him
soon about his diet.  My sugar levels have been so much more even since I've been
having only 15 carbs. per meal.  I have only cut back a little on my insulin.  I
use to have such highs after lows which was happening almost every day.  I haven't
had any levels over 170 in the past two days.  I use to have 42 or so followed by
400's.  This seem to have been happening since I've been on Humalog for the past
seven months.  I thought maybe I was allergic to Humalog.  What do you think about
all this?