Re: [IP] Low-CHO diets...I'm perplexed

> I keep hearing about these low-carbohydrate diets...
> From what I understand, the general idea is to substantially decrease CHO
> intake, substituting appropriate amounts (calorically) of protein and fat.
> It's seems to me that this would be a _bad_ thing for diabetics, even if it
> did produce a flatter BG curve.

The main idea is that high blood sugar is what causes complications like
heart disease and kidney disease. If you can keep your blood sugar normal,
you're at no greater risk than the general population.

Therefore, if you have no complications, do whatever it takes to keep your
blood sugar normal. Low carb diets are, in fact, good for keeping blood
sugars even and normal. (Low carb = low insulin doses = less chance to take
the wrong amount of insulin)

I believe that Bernstein also claims that normal blood sugars, even if
accomplished with high protein diets, can reverse complications in the
early stages. That includes kidney disease. And Sears (the Zone diet) has
done some very small studies showing that heart disease was reduced (in the
same patient) when following his 40:30:30 carb:protein:fat diet.

It's really all a matter of which "thing" you think it's most important to
address: normal blood sugar, potential heart disease, potential kidney
disease, etc. Personally, I don't eat a "low" carb diet (I eat 50-60%
carb), but I also don't watch fat intake. I find that my cholesterol
numbers are good when my blood sugars are good, and conversely, they're
not-so-good when my blood sugars are irratic. I rather treat what will
bother me NOW (high blood sugar) than what *might* bother me later (heart
disease). I'm gambling on the normal blood sugar. It's a personal decision.

Let me echo -- try everything and do whatever works for you.