[IP] Six Months and still clicking...

Tomorrow is my six month anniversary of my assimilation.  I started
the pump on September 26, 1997.  As I think back over the past six
months I remember the good times, like getting used to not going to
bed afraid I'd have low bg episode during the night.  I remember the
strange feeling of eating that second piece of coconut cream pie at
Christmas, just because I wanted it.  I think about skipping
breakfast, lunch, or dinner because I just wasn't hungry.  I remember
things like what happened on Monday night when my bg went to 341 for
no good reason, and how it came back down with a bolus and no low bg

I also remember the event that I related a while back where my son
told me he wanted a medicine box like Daddy has on his belt, and
sitting in the floor crying and telling him I pray each night for him
that he'll never have to have one...   I think about how strange it
still feels to not be bound by the schedule and to be able to eat or
not eat based on if I'm hungry or not instead of the peaking of last
nights shot.

I also think about last Saturday morning when it took a few minutes
to push that button on the SoftSerter.  That insertion needle looked
like it was a mile long and hundreds of feet in diameter for a few
seconds...  but when I pushed the button it didn't hurt at all...

But most of all I think about what my son Joseph said last week when
he came into the room while I was changing my infusion set.  He
watched me for a few minutes and we talked about how he doesn't have
to say "ouch" for me any more like he used to when I'd take a shot.
He wanted to look at the tegaderm and after he satisfied himself that
it was placed right he looked up at me and just commented "Daddy's
better now."  I just gave him a hug and he helped me throw all the
debris (the paper, plastic etc) into the trash.  I couldn't add
anything more to his evaluation...

Here's to you all - Keep on happily pumping insulin...  I'm glad I
found this group.

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.