Re: [IP] Accu-Chek Complete vs. OneTouch Profile(some questions)

At 00:46 3/25/98 -0500, Marylyn wrote:
>  Dear Dan,
>Are saying that the profile isn't accurate?  The accu-chek is a better way to
>go?  I haven't used that one for about seven yrs. since I've been using the
>profile.  Are the highs on the Profile not really high enough????
>Marilyn from Maryland

No, that wasn't what I meant to imply at all.

All I was pointing out was that the Profile produces whole-blood results
(which is, after all, what it's testing).  The Advantage/Complete, on the
other hand, seems to produce "artificial plasma" results, in an attempt to
more closely mimic the numbers that lab tests might produce.

Both meters are very good, and very precise for home-testing instruments.
But the Advantage/Complete meters seem to consistently produce numbers that
are 10-12% higher than what the Profile produces for the same blood sample.

The bottom line is that if you _switch_ from a Profile to an Advantage or a
Complete, you'll need to raise your target BG range about 12% or so, or you
may end up having more hypoglycemic episodes.  Conversely, if one were to
switch from an Advantage/Complete to a Profile, one would logically decrease
their target ranges by the same amount.

As far as choosing between the two meters (i.e., the Profile and the
Complete), I personally prefer the Complete (I was a Profile user for
several years).  It has more features than the Profile, and uses biosensor
strips instead of the photoreflectance type.  What this means is that you
don't have to worry about testing in high- or low-light conditions.

I also like the fact that the Complete (and Advantage) will tag BG readings
if the test was run outside the specified operating temperature range.
Lastly, the Advantage/Complete strips require a bit less blood than the OT

But the Profile is still a very good meter, and was just as precise as the
Advantage/Complete in my tests.

I hope this clears up any confusion...