Re: [IP] NYC endo

Timmy and Debbie wrote:
>         I purchased a copy of Pumping Insulin several months ago and read
> it before I obtained a loaner pump from my Minimed rep to try!  In fact
> when I met him, he recommended that I read it and was surprised that I
> already had. I spoke to lots of people about pumps and as many parents of
> pumpers as I could find before deciding that a pump would be suitable for
> my son.  Then I had to spend considerable time convincing the endo that he
> wanted to try it.

SOunds like that's where the problem lies, IMHO. Having to push so hard
to get going she's playing it "Safe" which could have bad effects on the
patient so you'll give it up after a short trial.

>         We had a long talk today about the ultralente and it was quite
> clear that she feels it would be dangerous to start him without it.

Sorry, there's 1 word to describe her attitude, at least in 1998: WRONG!

> said that if that was what we wanted to do we would have to find another
> endo.  She claimed that it is common practice to give NPH or ultralente to
> pregnant woman on the pump since the risk of pump failure would result in
> fetal death.

Interesting, I've been reading diabetes lists here and been the Co-oderator
on the FIDOnet (BBS based) Diabetes Echo, and have NEVER heard of this
"common practice". Besides which, I doubt your young son needs to worry
about having a fetus die........

She also said many pump patients are given compazine to keep
> on hand in case they wake up in DKA.

Compazine? Never heard of that "idea" either. DKA is treated with insulin
and hydration (aka water) in Type 1's.

She said that it would be easier for
> my son to disconnect or "take a break" from the pump with the ultralente on
> board.

Actually it's a LOT simpler than that to turn off the pump, take a shot
of R for immediate needs and restart the slow insulin if it's going to
be for more than a few hours.

She also said she has lots of collegues to turn to for help if need
> be but is totally confident on being able to do this for my son. She is
> even wearing the pump exactly the way she wants to use it on my son.

She sounds like the blind leading the sighted!

>         This is a difficult decision for us as we have been with this
> doctor for five years and she has a great relationship with us and my son.
> Until now we have never had a question or concern regarding our son's
> treatment and always felt we were getting the best care available.  I did
> finally find two doctors with some pump experience, one at MT. Sinai
> hospital in Manhattan and one in Valhalla in Westchester county. MT. Sinai
> wants 4oo dollars for the initial visit and the other wants 285 dollars!
> Neither accepts our insurance.....and unfortunately money is tight for us.
> Our current endo is willing to accept the insurance fees in full.  So I'm
> rather torn as to what to do!  I need time to mull things over.

Ouch! Sure does make it difficult! Can you get the MiniMed rep in to talk
to her about how pumps are run TODAY, not in the late '70s, which is
apparently where she got these "common practices"?
Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 41+ years, use MM506 pump with Humalog