Re: [IP] NYC endo

        I purchased a copy of Pumping Insulin several months ago and read
it before I obtained a loaner pump from my Minimed rep to try!  In fact
when I met him, he recommended that I read it and was surprised that I
already had. I spoke to lots of people about pumps and as many parents of
pumpers as I could find before deciding that a pump would be suitable for
my son.  Then I had to spend considerable time convincing the endo that he
wanted to try it.
        We had a long talk today about the ultralente and it was quite
clear that she feels it would be dangerous to start him without it.  She
said that if that was what we wanted to do we would have to find another
endo.  She claimed that it is common practice to give NPH or ultralente to
pregnant woman on the pump since the risk of pump failure would result in
fetal death.  She also said many pump patients are given compazine to keep
on hand in case they wake up in DKA.  She said that it would be easier for
my son to disconnect or "take a break" from the pump with the ultralente on
board.  She also said she has lots of collegues to turn to for help if need
be but is totally confident on being able to do this for my son. She is
even wearing the pump exactly the way she wants to use it on my son.
        This is a difficult decision for us as we have been with this
doctor for five years and she has a great relationship with us and my son.
Until now we have never had a question or concern regarding our son's
treatment and always felt we were getting the best care available.  I did
finally find two doctors with some pump experience, one at MT. Sinai
hospital in Manhattan and one in Valhalla in Westchester county. MT. Sinai
wants 4oo dollars for the initial visit and the other wants 285 dollars!
Neither accepts our insurance.....and unfortunately money is tight for us.
Our current endo is willing to accept the insurance fees in full.  So I'm
rather torn as to what to do!  I need time to mull things over.