Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:15:37 +0000
From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Variable basals / ratios

Randall wrote:
> I think the short term is hours though.  I have checked my basal
> rates by fasting and have stable bg through the time period being
> checked.
It's trickier than that. Your body shifts gears in the morning when
you feed it.  Try an experiment where you eat a high carbo breakfast.
and then again with low carbo and profile your bg's against expected
bg rise for the bolus. i.e. don't use a standard breakfast, use 2!
that are very different.  You should see a bias that will show that
your body's insulin requirements have a hump that is really
independent of the food eaten.
Given that everything else is stable, good nights sleep, standard
wake time, nothing funny the nite before, etc..  The breakfast bolus
can be broken  down into two components.

One that is relatively constant and another, with a STANDARD ratio
that is directly related to the carbo intake.  I have successfully
isolated and measured this for Lily. She knows that if she gets up
after a certain time of day (about 7:30 or 8:00) and then eats, she
is guaranteed to need an extra 2.0 units of insulin no matter how
little or much she eats. If she gets up at 6:30, it is not needed.
Simply a difference in metabolic response to the amount of rest an
'getting the engine going'. If she doesn't eat, you don't see the bg
rise. Curious eh?

This baffled me for quite a while until I decide to profile her with
standard (repeatable) meals. Like the same bowl of cereal for a few
days then something else like toast and eggs with a very different
carbo load.

>  In order to have decent 2 hour post-meal bg though my
> morning ratios per unit of insulin are as follows:  breakfast -
> before 11:00 am. - 5.5 g, lunch - before 4:30 p.m. 12 g, between 4:30
> and 8:00 - 10 g, after 8:00 15 g.   We've done all kinds of measuring
> and checking and still come up with these types of ratios.  I also
> have to run seven basal rates too.  It seems that in the early
I've run into that as well, but eventually leveled it off to about 4
Try fiddling with the graphic basal rate model on the web site, you
may be able to reduce the # basals without side effects.