[IP] newbie

     On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 "Nita" <email @ redacted> wrote
     > Hello all.  I am a newbie to this list and looking for some
     > information.  My daughter is 6 and has been diabetic since she was 9
     > months old.  She wants to get a pump and I think it is great.
     I was diagnosed as diabetic at 25 months so some of the
     in-school/at-play things I could help you with possibly.  I don't know
     about getting a pump then because in '61 they didn't even have enough
     of an incling as to what would be to tell us NOT to get one!
     I think the Minimed is far easier for a person to operate but that's
     my opinion.  My best advise is to meet other pump users (hopefully
     close to her age but any age better than none) and let them 'hand
     hold' her through it -> training from another pumper in terms of
     putting in catheters and just daily or weekly 'support' seems to be
     important to many if not all.
     ALSO: Let her online!!  I'm certain she can 'hold her own' in
     coversations and we can (probably) (with reminders) respond OK (I've
     currently got a three, six and twelve year old and many others of us
     as well have young kids).
     Yerachmiel Altman