Re: [IP] Volume of silhouette canula

Your measurement of exactly 1 unit sounds like good technique and is
probably very accurate. see below

> O.K. now I'm confused ;-|
> I have always used a .5 unit bolus to fill the cannula when changing the
> PureLine Comforts and the Disetronic Tenders (we have all been saying right
> along that these sets are all identical). There are times I have checked
> this, like MJ did and insulin began to drip after .5 units were administered.
> The instruction sheet(s) which I have for the Tenders and the Comfort sets
> both indicate that a .5 unit bolus should be administered to fill the cannula.
> Is the Silhouette using a different diameter cannula, hence the requirement
> for more insulin to "prime" the cannula?

The amount required to fill the canula tube and the amount required
to bolus on a 're-connect' are different.

The 0.5 unit bolus is to make up for the small amount of air drawn
back into the tube attached to the pump.
The canula attached to you is sealed by it's own plug on either a
sof-set or comfort set(or equiv).

I was interested in the volume of the canula because if you inject
humalog through it, you have to follow it with enough regular from
the pump to push all the humalog in or it will not take effect.

Telling the difference between 0.5 and 0.7 units would be tough with
the kind of experiment I suggested. +or - 0.5 units is probably a
pretty good measurement.

I wonder if the MiniMed answer is the 'volume' of the empty canula??
Your measurement sound like it was right on.

Anyway, 1 unit is a nice easy number to remember for a follow up
bolus after and injection of H in the Comfort-Set

Michael <email @ redacted>