Re: [IP] switching to velosulin

I've been pumping for 16 and a half years now.  I used velosulin most of that time -- and in the last 8-10 years, as I had hypo unawareness and neuropathy probs. found my control very uneven.  It could take as long as 24 hours to fix a real high.  I tried Humalog in January.  Worked great for regular food (I don't eat a lot of fat or protein), but caused problems with high fat or protein ("restaurant" or visiting) meals.  The biggest problem though was the site deterioration.  After reading about people mixing insulins, I decided to try.  After I began mixing, I discovered that the pump nurse at Kaiser (my newly acquired insurance) had actually been mixing half and half all along (she had been noncommittal when I first asked her what she thought).  I've never had much luck with sites (even shots) with anything other than velosulin.  I don't know what they do to it, but whatever it is it seems to work!  The mixture is fantastic -- best control and easiest control I've had in years!  Great sites, longer lasting insulin!

Hope this helps!

Good luck,

Dan Wasson wrote:

 3/ 18/ 98I am going to be trying the velosulin out in a few days, can anyone on it tell me how long you wait before meals and anything else about it. I am currently using humalog, but I have trouble with sites deteriorating suddenly and quickly when I use my abdomen for sites. This never happens when I use my backend. I also don't like that terrible " I'm dropping feeling" you can sometimes get. I can't convince my doctor to give me the ok for a mix of velosulin and humalog, I've faxed and talked to him about it but he says no. I'm going to kept printing out the groups posts on the mixing of insulin for him.C.  Wasson
email @ redacted