Re: [IP] Misconceptions about IDDM

Try not to let those uneducated about diabetes upset you.  Nothing she told
you could be farther from the truth.  I have had type 1 diabetes for 19 years
this month and have zero diabetic complications.  As for a diabetics lifespan.
If we keep tight control and maintain things such as blood pressure (which is
a big factor in kidney disease) we can lead a normal, long life.  I personally
know a man (he goes to my church) that developed type 1 diabetes in his early
20's.  This man is now in his early 70's and is going strong.  He has no
diabetic complications.  His man complaint is he is getting old.  Ha Ha.

As for having children.  I had two very healthy, normal pregnancies.  I had
both of my children while using injections.  I carried both kids to term (40
weeks) and delivered beautiful, healthy kids.  Neither one of the kids had to
go to ICU and went right into the regular newborn nursery.  My first even
weighed in at 5 lbs. 15 oz.  Not bad for a 40 week, term diabetic pregnancy.

Chin up, it is exactly what you said it is, misconceptions about IDDM. :-)

Your Friend,