[IP] Misconceptions about IDDM

I recently talked with a person who had some major misconceptions about
diabetes.  The blanket statements she made were:  "Diabetics tend to live
shorter lives than those without diabetes."  She also said: "It is difficult
for a woman with diabetes to have children."  I am interested in hearing what
others have to say about this.  I was pretty upset when I heard these
comments.  I would love to hear encouraging stories from people that show how
untrue these misconceptions are.